George Washington bought this frame dwelling for his mother in 1772. Mary moved from the family farm across the river and lived here for the last 17 years of her life. In March 1789, just before his election to the Presidency, George visit his mother for the final time. Mary died of breast cancer before the summer's end.
Among the period furnishing are several of Mary's personal possessions, includuing her tea pot and "best dressing glass" she willed to George. Mary is known to have enjoyed her gardening. Her kitchen garden produced vegetable and herbs, while a boxwood-lined garden led to the nearby plantation home of her daughter Betty. Reconstructed by the Garden Club of Virginia in 1969, the quiet, manicured grounds are a welcome retreat for visitors.