St. James House (Groups)
The St. James’ House was built around 1768 and is one of the few eighteenth-century frame houses still standing in Fredericksburg.The house was originally home to James Mercer, an attorney, a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, first judge of the General Court in Fredericksburg, and the attorney who drew up the will for Mary Washington. Mercer built the house on land once owned by Fielding Lewis, brother-in-law of George Washington.
The house is particularly noted for the collection of antique furniture and decorative arts assembled by Daniel Breslin and William Tolerton, who restored St. James’ in the mid-1960’s.
The house now serves as a private residence and is open Garden Week in April, the first full week in October and by appointment for group tours.