On the heights overlooking Fredericksburg, this Georgian-style mansion was completed in 1771 but is best known for the role it played during the Civil War. Known as the Lacy House, the mansion served as a Union headquarters during the Battle of Fredericksburg, despite the sympathies of its colorful war-time owner, J. Horace Lacy. At Chatham, Clara Barton and Walt Whitman joined in the treatment of hundreds of wounded soldiers.
Today, Chatham contains exhibits about its long and varied history. The grounds have been restored to a colonial revival style designed in the 1920’s.