Frugal Family Fun In The Fredericksburg Region – Winter
Whether you’re naturally frugal or sticking to a 2020 resolution, saving money while making memories with your family is always a great idea! The Fredericksburg region is full of inexpensive activities for all ages. Here are a few of our favorites.
The Winter Package From The Fredericksburg Visitor’s Center!
Snag your copy of the newest ticket package from the Visitor’s Center and get ready to fall in love with Fredericksburg! For $22 adult / $8.50 child you get admission to 4 amazing tours. Tickets are valid from Wednesday, December 11 – Sunday, March 15.
2020 Winter Package Tours:
- *Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop
- *Rising Sun Tavern
- *Mary Washington House
- *Trolley Tours of Fredericksburg
You can’t beat the Central Rappahannock Regional Library.
There are dozens of great FREE programs and clubs to join through the library. These four are a great place to start.
- Mobile Makerlab – MakerLabs are STEM exploration spaces for all ages to enjoy hands-on learning with a variety of high and low-tech equipment and activities. Thanks to a generous partnership with the University of Mary Washington, library staff, volunteers and university students teach all ages about aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) through demonstrations and hands-on activities, including a 3D printer, drawing tablet, paper rocket launcher, robot arms, Ozobots, and much more. There are usually 2-3 activities available during any given MakerLab session.
- Skill Builders – Explore something new. For beginners. Grade 6-adult
- January 18: Coding Resources
- February 15: Zine Creation
- Storytime – Perfect for babies through Kindergarteners! Listen to books and sing songs with a group.
- Paws for Reading – Read with dogs trained to be avid listeners. The library provides books, or bring a favorite. Practice your reading and collect a bookmark, too. Call the branch to book your time.
- Fireside Concerts – Stafford Location – Enjoy acoustic concerts by the Howell Branch’s fireside in their cozy living room!
- Sunday, January 12, 2020, 2-3pm
- Sunday, February 9, 2020, 2-3pm
Tuesday is the new Friday
Have you noticed that great deals always seem to fall on Tuesdays? It’s no different here in the Fredericksburg Region!
Enjoy $6 Movies at Paragon Village 12 or $5 movies at Marquee Cinemas. While you’re at Paragon, head over to Splitsville for $2 Tuesdays. You and the family can bowl for $2 a game, per person, plus get $2 shoes from 4:00 p.m. to close.
Does that make Wednesday the new Saturday?
It does if you love to skate! You and the family can skate your hearts out to the music at Cavalier Skating every Wednesday, for $1 Dollar Wednesday, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm.
The middle of the week doesn’t work for many people ( we see you ). No worries! Sunday is Family Day at Cavalier Skating, from 2:00pm – 6:00pm. Admission is $6 per skater or a family (up to 6 members) pays only $18 admission.
Take a dog for a walk with The Fredericksburg SPCAs Adventure Trails Program!
It not only gives your family a sweet companion for the day’s adventure, it benefits the pet as well by giving them a break from communal living. “Our animals get the chance to show their personalities outside of the loud, shared environment at the center and it’s a way for us to get information that we would not otherwise get (how are they around bicycles, on a leash etc). It provides them with a day out and mental stimulation and enrichment that they do not get in the facility. By keeping their minds stimulated and their bodies active, they often have much better kennel presence which increases their chances of being adopted. Since starting the Adventure Tails Program, we have seen a 20% increase in adoptions!” – SPCA website.
All you need to do simply sign out an animal and you’re good to go ( Must be 18 or older with a government ID ). For more information or to view pets available for adoption please visit Fredericksburg SPCA.
Here are a few of our favorite dog friendly places in the Fredericksburg Region.
Laser tag isn’t just for kids.
Head to FunLand for an afternoon in a futuristic arena! Up to 20 players allowed at once. Each round of laser tag is about 20 minutes long and includes one 10-minute game, which is adjusted based on age and the number of participants. After the battle is over, stay for the arcade games an go-kart track!
Take a ride on the Little Yellow Train.
One of Fredericksburg’s hidden gems is the Rappahannock Railroad Museum. Open Saturday mornings you can see cabooses, a baggage car, mail car, and more! The most unique aspect of the museum has got to be the Little Yellow Train. It’s built from restored Maintenance of Way equipment and provides a 45 minute open air ride for free ( donations accepted ). You and the family will get the chance to see wildlife and enjoy a nice ride through the woods. The train departs from Deep Run station and arrives at the former RF&P mainline. If you’re lucky you might see a passing freight or passenger train roll by at 50-60mph! The Little Yellow Train rides in fair weather conditions only.