1862 Package - School of the Soldier
Immerse yourself in a true Civil War experience when you enroll in the
"School of the Soldier."
For this four-day package, grab up to three friends or family members, leave your laptops and smart phones behind and
be prepared to BECOME Civil War soldiers. You will be outfitted with
uniforms and camp for two nights in an actual Civil War fort - called a Redoubt, built and occupied during the
Civil War. You will receive tactical training, engineering education,
and be schooled and drilled like a Civil War soldiers.
"Enlistees" will take part in target practice and can fire the types of
weapons that were used at this site during the Civil War. At night,
enjoy cooking and music around the camp fire and stay in authentic
replicas of Civil War winter huts. The soldier experience had no
"amenities," no running water (needed water will be carried in & out),
It is a harsh, rough and a one-of-a-kind experience. To celebrate your
accomplishments, after your two days in "school," relax for two nights
in a regional hotel with all the modern amenities.
Includes an itinerary of visits to the:
- White Oak Museum
- Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center
- Tour 4 Battlefields
- 2 Short Films at the NPS Military Parks (at F’burg & Chancellorsville)
- Battlefield Maps from Slaughter Pen Farm for self-guided tour
- Visit auxiliary sites as seasonally available - including Jackson Shrine, Chatham, and Elwood
- VIP Dining Card – at select restaurants
- Have a real tin-type photograph taken at the Civil War Life Museum Gift Shop
- Three Hotel Nights (3 NIGHTS, 2 ROOMS)
- One Night in a Civil War Fort
Note: Civil War – School of the Soldier – 24 hours at Redoubt #2 in Stafford County.
18 or older – unless special arrangements are made prior to your visit.