George Washington was 6 years old in 1738 when his family moved to a farm in Stafford County, Virginia. The Washingtons called this place the Home Farm but it later became known as Ferry Farm because people crossed the Rappahannock River on a ferry from the farm to the town of Fredericksburg. The Washingtons did not own or operate the ferry but used it frequently to get to and from town.
A visit to Ferry Farm starts in the Visitor Center where there are displays of colonial and Civil War artifacts found on the property and the archaeology lab, where archaeologists can be viewed working Monday through Friday.
After leaving the Visitor Center, guests can enjoy the gardens that feature plants grown in the 18th century. Then it's on to exploring the rest of the grounds (approximately 80 acres). On this self-guided tour, visitors can see the site where the Washington house stood overlooking the Rappahannock River, walk down the old ferry road, enjoy the hiking trails, and watch for birds in the Wild Meadow.
Visitors may also check out an iPad for an interactive tour that includes videos, photos, and in-depth details about Ferry Farm during the time of the Washington family.
Also, please visit the Ferry Farm website for a full calendar of special events and programs.
• Closed during January & February except Feb. 15 & 17 at Ferry Farm
• March through October: Monday – Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Sunday, Noon to 5:00 p.m. The last tour at Historic Kenmore begins at 4:15 p.m.
• November through December: Monday – Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Sunday, Noon to 4:00 p.m. The last tour at Historic Kenmore begins at 3:15 p.m.
• Closed Easter Sunday (April 20, 2014), Thanksgiving Day (November 27, 2014), and December 24, 25, & 31
• Group visits available by appointment: Please call (540) 370-0732 x24
Ferry Farm Admission Prices: $8 adults, $4 students, under age 6, free
Combination Ticket to both Ferry Farm and Kenmore: $15 adults, $8 students
Discounts available for Seniors (60+), AAA, active military, trolley passengers, &
Group rates available - please call Vickie Hayes at (540) 370- 0732 ext. 24 for reservations and details