The Kenmore Valley neighborhood was part of the original estate of Colonel Fielding Lewis’ Kenmore Plantation, and was surveyed by George Washington in 1752. Subdivisions on the farmland began as early as 1853, and as the growth of Fredericksburg accelerated westward with the establishment of the “State Normal School” on the heights above, the city chose to annex the valley. This walking tour is situated between Sunken Road, The eastern boundary of the University of Mary Washington on one hill, and Kenmore Avenue following the route of the old mill race that ran down the valley below Kenmore Plantation on the other side.
$35 in advance; $45 day of
Questions? [email protected]