Charming, one-of-a kind small businesses are at the heart of Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Fredericksburg, Virginia. Did you know that many of these unique shops and restaurants also offer specialized classes?
That’s right! If you’ve ever wanted to try your hand at kimchee making, home brewing, a second language, or wine making now is a great time to start. There are dozens of opportunities to learn a new artisanal skill, right here in Fredericksburg!
1. Orofino Restaurant
/ cooking, wine-tasting, Italian regional culture, Italian language / Downtown Fredericksburg - This family owned and operated restaurant offers more than just authentic Italian cuisine. Different regions of Italy are celebrated each month through their menu and wine pairings. Dig deeper into the regional study through Orofino’s monthly, “Chef’s Table.” Here, you partake in an eight-course meal with wine pairings curated specifically for that month’s region. You’ll discuss each course in depth, along with the region’s history. Orofino Restaurant also offers monthly cooking classes and a wine tasting class that changes alongside the regional focus. Italian language classes are held at Orofino Restaurant at various times throughout the year. These classes work around the students’ skill level, so calling ahead to schedule them is a must.
2. The Workshop
/ Woodworking / Fredericksburg - Interested in woodworking, bow making, or pen turning? The Workshop offers a variety of classes at all skill levels. Some of the classes are focused on developing specific skills, while others are project focused. The Workshop even gives students the opportunity to pair up with artisans for a project of their choosing. Past projects have included a writing desk and long bow.
3. The Brew Shop / home-brewing / Spotsylvania, Va -– Our Region is home to a thriving craft beer community! If you have ever wanted to take a stab at creating your own brew, now is your chance! The Brew Shop, in Spotsylvania, offers a beginner brewing class every month. This class is designed to teach you how to brew beer right in your own kitchen. It lasts about an hour and is free. Already a home brewer? The Brew Shop offers more advanced classes as well as studies in kegging, grain, fermentation, recipe design and more! All classes are free and held in the back of the shop. They do ask that people RSVP in case they have to move or cancel a class.
4. The Dr. Yum Project / Healthy meal prep, healthy cooking / Spotsylvania, Va- The Dr. Yum Project offers cooking classes for families and children all year long. These classes focus on simple, nutritious meals that are delicious and easy to replicate at home. Upcoming Summer classes follow a “camp” schedule. The first camp (ages 3-6) will learn to make a healthy dish with the help of a parent. Parents will also be introduced to concepts that may help encourage their child to be adventurous eaters. In the second camp (ages 7-12), the kids will join the Dr. Yum team in their teaching kitchen for a week (two hours per day) of cooking fun that focuses on healthy, delicious dishes. Classes start with tasting different types of foods and learning about their health benefits. Students then prepare one or two dishes while learning basic cooking skills. Students will also be exposed to lessons about local food buying and growing. Both camps end with special guest Joy Crump (one day).
5. Kickshaws Downtown Market / cooking classes, kombucha making, gluten free cooking, kimchee making / Downtown Fredericksburg - For those looking for delicious allergy-friendly, gluten free, vegan options, Kickshaws is the way to go! From the very start, this family owned business has been passionately sourcing groceries that are natural, local, and dedicatedly gluten-free. In addition to their kitchen and store, they also offer classes in gluten-free cooking, kimchee making, baking with children, sauerkraut making, bone-broth making, and more!
6. Bacchus Winery / home winemaking / Spotsylvania, Va - Hal Bell of Bacchus Winery has taught over 250 people the art of winemaking! Rest assured, these classes are for those serious about learning the craft. Bacchus Winery’s beginner level class provides a hands-on introduction to home winemaking that touches on the history, geography, biology, chemistry and psychology of wine. The class is seven weeks long and includes a maximum of 15 hours of student-instructor contact time, at the winery. Students begin by selecting a varietal white or red wine-juice and over a six-week period, convert that juice into wine. By the end of the course, students will make and take home approximately 30 bottles of wine! At the completion of this class, they’ll have the knowledge to make wine at home, or at the winery. Students enjoy two varieties of wine during each class. If you’re interested in signing up for one of Bacchus Winery’s classes, please note that they tend to book up over 6 months in advance!
7. Charmaine Parton / floral design/ Stafford, Va - Self-taught floral designer, Charmaine Parton, is quickly leaving her mark on the Stafford area. Primarily an event and wedding floral designer, Charmaine has recently began offering floral arranging classes and pop-ups. These classes are not offered frequently and do fill up fast. Be sure to watch her Facebook Page and website for an announcement on the upcoming summer session. Looking for floral inspiration, now? Follow her Instagram account for pictures of her beautiful designs!
8. Blue Bird Stained Glass Studio / stained glass art, soldering / Stafford, Va - Stained glass making is a beautiful and ancient art form and one you can learn all about right here, in Stafford! Classes offered at Bluebird Glass Studio are taught on a one-on-one basis. The instructors are each accomplished stained glass artists that have over 40 years combined experience. Classes are offered from beginner through advanced levels. Projects include techniques in copper foil, lead, copper, zinc, brass channel. Options for wire working, decorative soldering, frosting, sand carving, and fused glass are also available.
9. Liberty Town Arts / multiple classes / Downtown Fredericksburg - Liberty Town Arts houses artwork from over 40+ artists and has done so since 2002! Did you also know that they also offer several art classes? We don’t just mean watercolors and oil pastels (Though they do offer those!). You can enroll in classes like: glass fusing, knitting, weaving, marbling, drawing, Chinese brush painting, pottery and more! They even offer summer camps for kids. Check out their website for the full list of classes and dates offered. There are several!
10. PONSHOP Studio and Gallery / multiple classes / Downtown Fredericksburg - PONSHOP offers several out-of-the-box art workshops for children and adults. Think: ceramics, street art, mixed media, illustration and skateboard graphics. Classes in painting and ceramics are taught by the owners Scarlett and Gabriel Pons. PONSHOP gallery artist, Leslie Brier, teaches classes in jewelry design, sculpture, and recycled arts. PONSHOP offers several children’s classes such as comic making and a shaving cream swirls workshop.
Have you taken artisanal classes in Fredericksburg or are you signed up to try one? Tag us in your pictures! We’d love to see your creations!
***Be sure to follow the social media accounts of these businesses for up to date information on upcoming classes and events. Always check with the store for class availability and pricing. ***